Adventures of s/v WILD HAIR

ADVENTURES OF WILD HAIR

Our land life took on form, solidity, routine. We had mastery of a limited set of skills. We had habitual expectations of others and ourselves. Going sailing, we let go of our attachments to our roles, views, and rituals. We persist because we are growing in this shapeless and dynamic world.



Friday, January 23, 2009

God


In Bahama waters, past the point where land is visible, I meet God. In an environment without boundaries, the world appears as half cloudless sky, half “gin clear” water, and (somewhere borrowed from these percentages) a man, a woman, and a boat. Here, God speaks as sky, water, human, and boat, equally.

With an open heart, I realize that saying “God made man in his likeness” actually diminishes God. God doesn’t favor or not-favor man. God is all.

Skimming along the illusionary air and water divide, I (half air and half water myself) see my place in the universe. I am not humbled, not fearful, not boastful, not conquering of my brother sky or sister sea. I am simply equal.

God is a god of equanimity speaking with clarity. If I am wise, I will remember to listen to sky and sea and boat (and spouse). In this way, I will rest safely and peacefully in the cradle of the universe.

No comments: