Adventures of s/v WILD HAIR

ADVENTURES OF WILD HAIR

Our land life took on form, solidity, routine. We had mastery of a limited set of skills. We had habitual expectations of others and ourselves. Going sailing, we let go of our attachments to our roles, views, and rituals. We persist because we are growing in this shapeless and dynamic world.



Friday, June 25, 2010

Gifts


DECEMBER 20, 2009—I was surprised by an unexpected turn of events during a Holiday Open House for the friends and family members of the Center for Resilient Cities (http://www.resilientcities.org/). My colleagues took the opportunity to honor my retirement as director of the organization through kind words and thoughtful gifts. With insight into my new life and a little help from my husband, my associates bestowed upon me a tiny, boat-sized plaque adorned in the organization’s logos and given in recognition of my “pioneering spirit, vision, and devotion.” I was genuinely touched. Then a large gift box appeared with a state-of-the-art underwater camera inside. I was speechless.

I have had fun these many months in the Bahamas experimenting, learning how to use the camera. I have discovered unique challenges to photography in an underwater environ include wave motion, silt, the filtering of light through water, refraction, and the unpredictability of wildlife. Fortunately, the camera is “smart” and can automatically help overcome many of these challenges.

The images included here are the best fruits of my efforts. You’ll appreciate that the images of coral are generally more successful than the images of fish. As any fisherman can tell you, they are speedy creatures. To date, I am not speedy enough to fully capture their beauty—but I’m getting there!

I have found underwater photography a humbling but immensely entertaining endeavor. Through their generosity, my colleagues have given me a new world of opportunity. Knowing them as I do, I should not be surprised that they continue to enrich my life. I remain grateful for all of their gifts throughout the years.

Thanks again, dear friends.

No comments: